[Biojava-l] Packed DNA Symbol List

Schreiber, Mark mark.schreiber@agresearch.co.nz
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:09:23 +1300

Hi -

I am looking into Serialization issues at the moment and for many
distributions the AlphabetIndex must be marked as transient since it
cannot be guarenteed to be rebuilt in an identicle fashion on all JVMs.
I'm not sure how it would affect your class but it may be an idea to
include writeObject() and readObject() methods to prevent nasty
behaivour.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Pocock [mailto:matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, 12 February 2002 1:32 a.m.
To: David Huen
Cc: biojava-l@biojava.org
Subject: Re: [Biojava-l] Packed DNA Symbol List

Cool David! Have you got any stats about the relative performance of
the raw and packed implementations? The issue with AlphabetIndex and
ambiguities is my fault. I wrote the imlementations not to index
ambiguities. What do you use an indexer for? I'm happy for you to commit

away. Thomas? Others?

David Huen wrote:
> I've written a packed version of a DNA symbol list (4 bits per symbol,

> 8
> times cheaper than the current). Surprisingly, the performance seems
OK -