[Biojava-l] CVS biojava-live and 1.2

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock@yahoo.co.uk
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:46:11 +0000

Schreiber, Mark wrote:
> Hi -
>
> For the less CVS literate amongst us (or just me) how can I set up CVS
> to capture the 1.2 branch and the biojava-live branch (and any other
> branch for that matter).
>
> Actually could someone summarise what brances there are and what each
> one could be used for?

Hi Mark,

CVS allows the source-code to be forked, or branched so that multiple
independant versions of a single file can be maintained. This is
probably a bad thing in most cases, but comes in realy handy for making
and maintaining releases. The development tree is forked at the point we
want to build a release. Then, the trunk can be modified (files
added/removed, bugs fixed), and the release branch can be maintained
(bugs fixed). The main 'branch' is called the trunk, and the most recent
files on the trunk are the HEAD. (can a CVS guru correct me if I am
talking rubbish?). The most recent files on a branch can be checked out
using the branch tag. We usualy tag the branches for each binary
release, so if you want to jump to *exactly* those files that went into
a particlular release, you can check out the repository using that tag.

Here's a diagram (almost certainly wrong).

The beginning -> -> -> -> -> -> -> -> the future

-root-------1.1 devel----1.2 devel---1.3 devel---
                        \            \
                    1.1 release   1.2 release
                     1.1 rc1        1.2 rc1