[Biojava-l] CVS biojava-live and 1.2

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 17:34:38 -0500

Schreiber, Mark wrote:

> Hi -
>
> For the less CVS literate amongst us (or just me) how can I set up CVS
> to capture the 1.2 branch and the biojava-live branch (and any other
> branch for that matter).
>
> Actually could someone summarise what brances there are and what each
> one could be used for?

Mark-

I just finished  re-doing and upgrading our anonymous and web-based CVS
server. Point your browser to http://cvs.open-bio.org or
http://cvs.biojava.org/

The updated web interface is pretty slick (still some bugs and broken
internal links sometimes as you get deep into the site...) and allows
you to easily browse the different branches, visualize the diffs between
multiple files and even download custom-generated tarballs.

If you are looking at maintaining local copies of the latest source code
then you can do this pretty easily via anonymous cvs as long as there
are no firewall or proxy issues blocking things. Just follow the example
commands that are online at http://cvs.open-bio.org/. If things are
unclear then please give me your feedback so I can incorporate changes
that will help future users.

Branches can be accessed via use of the "-r" tag during your CVS
checkout operation. You'll have to get advice from the hardcore biojava
folks (or browse webcvs) to figure out the specific branch names you are
interested in (looks like there is a release tag called
"release-1_2-branch" that would work). You do not need to use "-r" to
get biojava-live as it will just default to the head branch.

Example use of revision tags with anonymous cvs:

$prompt> cvs :pserver:cvs@cvs.open-bio.org:/home/repository/biojava login
(when prompted your password will be 'cvs')

$prompt> cvs :pserver:cvs@cvs.open-bio.org:/home/repository/biojava
checkout -r "release-1_2-branch" biojava-live

You may also want to use the "-d" switch to put the checked out code
into a directory that reflects that you have checked out a branch rather
than the biojava-live head. A repeat of the above command with this
switch would be this:

$prompt> cvs :pserver:cvs@cvs.open-bio.org:/home/repository/biojava
checkout -r "release-1_2-branch" -d "./biojava-1.2" biojava-live

After you do the checkout operation you should be able to go into that
directory and just issue the "cvs update" command in the future.

If you are a biojava developer (with an account on the server) and you
want to maintain a writable version of the repository that you can
commit changes to then drop me or root-l@bioperl.org an email and we'll
help you get sorted offline.

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
Life Science IT & Research Computing Freelancer