[Biojava-l] taxanomical API

Tom Oinn tmo@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:56:54 +0000

Matthew Pocock wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Does anybody have any strong opinions about taxanomic data in BioJava? I
> was going to pop in a new package org.biojava.bio.taxa with interfaces &
> in-memory implementations of taxonomies. The aim is that this should
> play well with the ebi taxonomy database (and by extention the taxonomy
> stuff in embl & swissprot files). This will not be merged into the 1.2
> release untill/unless it gets very stable very quickly.
>
> All views greatfully accepted. If this code already exists out there
> somewhere, I would be more than happy to take a copy & BioJava'ise it &
> check it in.

One issue might be that there are various different taxonomies in place,
but other than that I don't see any problems. Maybe you should contact
isa@ebi.ac.uk; Isabelle Phan was working on the taxonomy for us when
last I checked. I'd be happy to pitch in and write a factory/data model
for the EBI data, maybe (puts on MyGrid hat...) we could expose this as
one of our SOAP services. Any interest?

Tom