[Biojava-l] GO web service

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Sat, 31 Aug 2002 14:05:08 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Patrick McConnell wrote:

> >WooHa!  I think I learned my lesson from the last go round like Ewan.  I'm
> >not touching this with a ten foot pole.
>
> Could you explain a bit about why so that we can get an idea about what we
> are getting into?  I'd hate to start down a path that led nowhere.

Endless discussions about the pros and cons of a "standard" that everyone
wants to fit their use case/prejuidice.

Far better to do these things bottom up - build things which work, perhaps
using SOAP/CORBA/Yadda/ASN/WibblyStufff - show that it works, and abstract
out anything that looks protcoly/technology based behind interfaces so
that if WhizzyBangBang stuff in 2003 looks better, it is easy to drop in
(ie, don't make the technology drive the data model)

The "official" OMG way to do this is via UML and some buzz word about
technology free modelling, but there is still a massive tendancy for
top-down-design-by-committee, which I think just doesn't work, and frankly
the Biojava/BioPerl data model (which are reasonably in sync, give or take
the odd split location thang) is a fine way to start, and the usual
"propose idea on list, and whoever codes it wins the argument" is a far
better resolving procedure than committees

anyway - build systems which work now is my motto ;)

BTW - I recently implemented something in CORBA (C) and it was a pleasure
though getting your head around the C CORBA mapping does require drugs.

Talk is cheap. Code is what counts.