[Biojava-l] jni and emboss

Guoneng Zhong Guoneng.Zhong@med.nyu.edu
Tue, 09 Apr 2002 09:45:05 -0400

Hi,
For those who are familiar with Java's native interface, here's a
question.  Is it possible to write java programs that harness the power
of open source, non-java bio programs like Emboss and still be
relatively cross-platform? (At least on UNIX)  I am looking at emboss
and am impressed that something so comprehensive and open source
exists.  Though still a novice to biojava, I think that neither biojava
nor bioperl has even a fraction of the functionalities of emboss, and I
doubt that either project was meant to be for sequence analysis (more
like fetching reports and parsing reports and displaying reports and
sequences, right?).  I am not sure why java can't be used to do
intensive algorithm executions (Affymetrix's GeneSpring is in java!),
but currently sequence analysis tools are in C/C++, so is it possible to
add more functionalities to java programs by accessing native codes
(rather than the clumsy system calls)?

Just a thought.