[Biojava-l] FeatureHolder.containsFeature()

Schreiber, Mark mark.schreiber@agresearch.co.nz
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 08:57:42 +1200

>     Mark> What if, when a user checks out a sequence the sequence is
>     Mark> created by the DB servers JVM and an interface to it is
>     Mark> exported to the user via RMI. (Yah for the Serialization
>     Mark> upgrades to biojava). Now when multiple users start messing
>     Mark> with a sequence by calling the removeFeature() (which will
>     Mark> be marked as synchronized of course!) they are actually
>     Mark> dealing with the same sequence rather than copies of the
>     Mark> sequence which must be merged/ rejected when they are
>     Mark> commited back. After the sequence has no more users it can
>     Mark> be commited back to the DB (flat file or relational).
>
>     Mark> Heck that's the best use of RMI I've ever come up with!
>
> That's pretty neat. However, this locks out any concurrent
> non-Java access doesn't it? I don't know whether the bioSQL
> schema was envisaged to support, say BioPerl and BioJava
> clients accessing the same resource simultaneously, but it
> seems to me that should remain possible.
>
> Keith

Hmm, if concurrent access is required you could use the RMIIOP protocol
to a Corba object, but yes I think that different clients to the same
object is messy.

Actually can some one inform me of the difference between the BioSQL and
the Open Bioinformatics Database Specification??

Mark
sender immediately.