[Biojava-l] First baby steps with biojava

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:40:30 +0000

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:36:33AM +0000, Ewan Birney wrote:

> Aha. Bug found. Time to download a 1.2 SDK.
>
> (this is probably worth putting into the README)
>
> Where is the best place to get a good, rpm installable (ideally) SDK for
> 1.2?

If you're on Linux, I wouldn't bother with any of the 1.2s
available -- Go straight to 1.3.0 (or 1.3.1 beta, which has
a few bug fixes and seems to be solid on my machine).

Right now, I use Sun's implementation, which is possibly
the fastest, at least for heavily OO code.  They definitely
ship RPMs (although I haven't tried them myself -- I'm a Debian
user...):

  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/

Other people you can try:

  - IBM (Same core libraries, different VM and garbage collector)

  - Blackdown.org (the people who actually did most of the work
    of porting to Linux.  Right now, their product is fairly similar
    to the Sun one).

Sun's is probably the easiest to get, and the most widely used,
though...

   Thomas.

PS. Interestingly, Compaq are now offering a 1.3 for Linux/alpha.