[Biojava-l] EMBL SOAP Server + perl and Java clients

Brian Gilman gilmanb@genome.wi.mit.edu
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 20:18:09 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

	I have been looking through the geodesic and das-gui client code
for something akin to a portable DAS 1.0 API. Is there such a thing or
should I rip out the right bits and roll one for us? I'm thinking that we
would like to have an API that handles the three separate aspects of DAS
independently of each other ie.

		1) HTTP request/response (tweaked servlet api could be
used here)
		2) DAS/XML parsing/writing (two separate modules)
		3) DAS 1.0 --> 2.0 adapters/interfaces

	Has anyone else written something like this for their own use??

Proposal/Thoughts:

	HTTP facility:

	All requests and resonses to a DAS 1.0 enabled server would be
handled through this low level API. Things such as DAS headers and error
codes would be written/parsed through this facility and sent via a
Throwable or String to calling objects (I like throwables for exception
handling..thoughts??)

	DAS/XML facility:

	DAS object framework which allows user to manipulate DAS request
reponses by manipulating DAS object graph (no XML here). An XML paring
facility which uses SAX callback-like event handling for DAS
request/responses

	DAS 1.0 --> 2.0 adapters

	DAS 2.0 adapter which gets translated into 1.0 DAS calls. I'm
thinking XSL (Xalan) for this? This obvioulsy needs more thought however,
I wanted to put it out there for people to start thinking about.

			Thanks!

				-B

Brian Gilman <gilmanb@genome.wi.mit.edu>
Sr. Software Engineer MIT/Whitehead Inst. Center for Genome Research
One Kendall Square, Bldg. 300 / Cambridge, MA 02139-1561 USA
phone +1 617  252 1069 / fax +1 617 252 1902