[Biojava-l] fresh checkout doesn't build

Michael L. Heuer heuermh@acm.org
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:03:51 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, David Huen wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Wiepert, Mathieu wrote:
>
> > For some reason, the code had the code duplicated (as if the module were cut
> > and pasted twice), and the first line of code was
> > <<<<<<< MSFAlignmentFormat.java
> > the last was
> >  >>>>>>> 1.6
> > and separating the two copies was a line
> > =======
> >
> > I edited the four files, and then ant worked.
> >
> > So, did I check something out wrong, do something else wrong?  It looks
> > correct on the CVS tree (Webcvs), so maybe somehow I have the wrong
> > checkout?
> >
> Are you sure it was not a cvs update?
>
> IMHO, it seems to think the source was changed at your end and is
> attempting a merge.  I didn't think that happened unless you've changed it
> at your end (as I do).

Right, with the <<<s and >>>s cvs is telling you that there was a conflict
when it tried to merge.  cvs uses diffs and does merging on a line-by-line
basis, so that means that every line in your local file conflicted with
every line in the file in the repository.

When I see things like this, it's usually because an editor tries to be
overly smart with end-of-line characters.

   michael