[Biojava-l] problem running demos from the biojava-live dir ...

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:03:14 +0100

Hi...  glad you've got things working!

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 03:54:06AM -0700, sarathchandra wrote:

> classpath and thats all was the problem .I would like
> to hear from you if biojava is completely compatible
> with jdk1.4 or are there any conflicts which you have
> faced or heard of.

No, there shouldn't be any trouble at all.  I've used
it myself on a number of occasions, and it works nicely,
especially the improved graphics performance.

Note, however, that there are a few incompatibilities
if you compile class files under 1.4 then try to run
them on earlier versions.  This is related to some API
changes Sun made in the StringBuffer class.

>   I would be grateful if any body can tell me how to
> permanantly throw all the class files of java into a
> particular folder you wish, if you are working on a
> particular package.

Under Unix JDK releases, you can put JAR files into:

  ${JAVA_HOME}/jre/lib/ext/

and they get automatically added to the default classpath of
all virtual machines.  Is this what you mean?

There's a corresponding directory under Windows, but
I can't confirm if it's the same one or not.

   Thomas.