[Biojava-l] HELP - installation problem

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:30:21 +0100

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 03:27:55PM +0100, Jolyon Holdstock wrote:
> i have downloaded biojava and have a problem compiling the demos. with
> GCContent.java i get a cannot resolve symbol for SeqTools.
> the other classes are seen fine so my classpath should be ok; this is on
> windows but i have had similar probles on unix.

Is this the GCContent tutorial example from the website?
If so, recent versions of it use the SeqIOTools class, which
is new in the 1.1x branch.

I can get you an old version which compiles with 1.0x if you
want, but 1.1 is better in lots of ways, so I'd stick with that.

> building the source on unix gave me errors with 1.0 and 1.01,

What errors?  Can you send me a copy of the output?

> version1.1 is
> building slowly (that problem is probably at my end).
> i'm not sure what else to try
> any help will be gratefully received

How slow is slowly?

To put things in perspective, a full build for me takes
about 1 minute on a 300 MHz Pentium II, Linux 2.2, Sun JDK 1.3.
Pre-1.3 JDKs will probably be a bit slower than this.

Do you get any errors?

   Thomas.