[Biojava-l] Anotatable Symbol

Mike Jones mjones@mpi.com
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 17:16:25 -0500

I am starting to work on a package for biojava that can be used for MS
experimental data. Initially for proteins. So I need a way to annotate
amino acids with their atomic mass. I would appreciate the help of those
who have done such things. Can I just modify the AlphabetManager.xml.
Say add a new Alphabet

I would rather not rewrite each symbol but if I were this is how it
would look.
<alphabet name="RESIDUE_MASS" parent="PROTEIN">
    <symbol name="s">
            <short>S</short>
            <long>SER</long>
            <mono-mass>87.03203</mono-mass>
            <avg-mass>87.0782</avg-mass>
    </symbol>

To do this though I imagine I would have to modify
AlphabetManager.symbolFromXML.

Please let me know if I am missing something or if any body has any
ideas.