[Biojava-l] byte-code generator

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:32:03 +0000

Hi Hilmar,

The honest answer is that when we were searching for available bytecode
generators, we didn't find JavaClass. Of the ones we did find, none fitted our
specs (both sensible & open-source). I think from looking at JavaClass, it is
aimed more at dissasembling and editing bytecode, were as ours is optimized
for generating it from scratch, either as the back-end for a compiler, or as a
macro-assembler. Also, lots of the things that you have to handle explicitly
in JavaClass (constant pool entries, jump points and the like) we take care of
"under the hood", so that it is much easier to write class generators that are
like c++ templates, and to organicaly re-use functionality (e.g. re-use a max
or isNaN macro).

Horses for courses. It is a shame that we didn't spot this one earlier.

Matthew