[Biojava-l] byte-code generator

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:49:05 -0800

Matthew Pocock wrote:

> We intend to release the bytecode generater under lgpl as a seperate
> package to biojava. It is currently in a cvs module called bytecode (a
> sister project to biojava-live). It has a sepreate development cycle to
> biojava, so it is apropreate to keep releases of each one seperate. As
> far as we are aware, it is the only open-source program of it's kind (we
> may be wrong - tell us). It also has the cleanest API of any of the
> bytecode generaters that I evaluated (of course, I would say that!). It
> is light-weight enough that generating classes is not noticably more
> expensive than loading byte-code direct from disk.

I'm sure you evaluated the JavaClass API
(http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~dahm/JavaClass/), too (which BTW is also
open-source). I can't judge the extent of overlap between the
functionality of that package and your own, but there probably is some.
Was there a particular reason not to collaborate with them, or is their
interface not clean enough?

	Hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                  phone: +1 858 812 1757