[Biojava-l] Gearing up for a 'stable' 1.0 release

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:03:48 +0100

Dear all,

I guess enough people use this code now that interface stability has
become a serious issue. I believe (possibly mistakenly) that the core
sequence modules are reasonably feature-complete. Sorry if the latest
changes (ambiguity symbols & database names) break things. When I rolled
all of my code over, it turned out to be mainly simple search&replace
things to fix the incompatibilites.

So - the point to this is - I propose that we gear up to a 1.0 release
over the next month (before the end of july). Any missing features
should be mentioned now, and added over the next fortnight. From then
on, it will be bug-fixes only. As far as I can see, the missing bits
are:

blast parsing (ok - so I know it is comming)
mutability of the underlying sequences / seq dbs
possible hooks for custom sequence persistance
more sequence formats

What do you all think? Am I being realistic? What do you think is
missing? What needs to be set in stone before 1.0?

Matthew