[Biojava-l] changed (improved) SequenceDB and stuff

Gerald Loeffler Gerald.Loeffler@vienna.at
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:58:33 +0200

Jason Stajich wrote:
> While you're thinking about SequenceDBs - I'm working on a methodology
> from the bioperl end to manage a MutableSeqDB - I want to be able to add /
> update/ delete sequences from a 'real' database.  This is going to require
> a transactional db on the back end and/or careful code, but we a looking
> to see if we can do it with the ensembl project's db first.  This
> would ideally something that would make its way into the biocorba idl as
> well as implemented in the bio* project's code.  More details to come as I
> finalize the design proposal.

sounds very interesting!

I'm currently thinking/working on an implementation of SequenceDB whose
getSequence() method goes (via JDBC) into a relational database, fetches
data associated with the requested sequence and instantiates a Sequence
object. The object of the SequenceDB-sub-class does not know anything
about the database content, it just passes on the request for a sequence
to the relational DB. Should be similary to what you are planning except
that mine is strictly read-only while yours is read/write/update.

Seems that the MutableSeqDB you mention should be a sub-interface of
SequenceDB with replaceSequence() and addSequence() methods...

	good luck,
	gerald