[Biojava-l] Ace db changes completed!

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 15:11:55 +0100

Dear all,

The new AceDB socket client & object model is completely implemented! I
have modified all of the ace demos to use the new objects, and so far
everything seems to work. Also, on top of this api we (Thomas & I) have
written a servlet layer that translates ace data in to xml, and Thomas
has developed a javascript thin client for browsing an ace database -
this gives full three tier web-app deployment of multiple ace databases.
We can make the servlets & java-script available on request (it is still
a bit flakey at the moment). The advantages to you are:

* xml is easy to parse & cross-platform & realy cool & stuff
* ace server life-cycle is independant of thin-client life-cycle
(servers can even move host & port without the client knowing about it)
* ace-like data can be published & browsed without entering it into an
ace database if stoored as AceML

Joon: You're out of your tree
Sam:  It wasn't my tree
                                                 (Benny & Joon)