[Biojava-l] Re: New snapshot

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:50:21 +0100

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 10:37:27AM +0200, Gerald Loeffler wrote:

> Excellent contribution - and a lot of volunteering (-:
>
> Why not skip the branching-off of the release candidate branch (steps 1
> to 4 below)? I've never actually seen anyone doing that. Why not  simply
> fork the release branch off the main branch when everyone is happy
> calling it 1.0?

It is a good idea in principle, at least when there are lots of
contributors.  The Mozilla project tends to take that kind of
approach, for instance.  Whether BioJava needs this kind of release
management or not at the moment is a slightly different manner.

My general view is that we're now entering a phase which broadly
corresponds with the `release candidate' idea.  It would be great
to see as many people as possible pounding at the code (and the
documentation) as possible.

If we have many changes in the next few days, I'll look towards
making another snapshot early next week, which might then become
the release candidate.

Does this sound okay?

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is
constantly making exciting discoveries.
                                       -- A. A. Milne