[Biojava-l] Last change to sequence package

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Tue, 18 Jul 2000 18:32:59 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Matthew Pocock wrote:

> Oops - forgot to mention that this will change the GFF API slightly. The gff
> strand constants (as ints) would be dropped, and replaced by the
> StrandedFeature constants. This way there is only one instance of the strand
> concept in BioJava.
>
> Scream now or I will change it thursday morning.

Matt - In bioperl/Ensembl we have the concept of strand being one of
"-1,1 or 0" with 0 for strand agnostic things, eg, low complexity regions.
I am not sure that your current scheme supports this.

It is a useful concept - otherwise you have some nasty code that has to
look at the "type" of sequence feature to realise that you shoudl be
strand agnostic.