[Biojava-l] FeatureRealizer and other changes.

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 15:37:56 +0100

Hi...

Since writing ViewSequence, I've been thinking about the
Feature creation mechanisms in BioJava, and I've now started
an attempt to tidy things up.

I've checked in one new interface (FeatureRealizer), plus
a SimpleFeatureRealizer implementation.  These should have
no impact on the majority of users, but you may want
to take a look if you think you might ever be implemention
the Sequence and/or Feature interfaces.

In related news, Simple{,Stranded}Feature are no longer
public classes -- the new way to construct these
is using SimpleFeatureRealizer.DEFAULT.  The way for
users to construct features remains the Sequence.createFeature
method.  Users of this method should not notice any change.

I'd be interested to recieve feedback from anyone using the
Features mechanisms.  How easy is it to use?  I'm also thinking
of writing a chapter on features for the BioJava tutorial --
might have a go over the weekend.

Happy hacking (and hope these changes haven't caused any trouble)
He looked up with big brown eyes.  ``They're really only
tiny little A-bombs, honest.''
                                     -- David Brin.