[Biojava-l] Java code ???

Mark Schreiber mark_s@sanger.otago.ac.nz
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 10:49:26 +1300 (NZDT)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Ewan Birney wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Thomas Down wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 08:54:46PM -0800, Ann Loraine wrote:
> > > I also have been writing a lot of Java code - mostly for
> > > Berkeley Drosopila Genome Project Web site.
> > >
> > > The code I've written for BDGP uses a widget set from Neomorphic
> > > Software, which I highly recommend by the way!  But I also
> > > work there part-time so I'm a bit biased :-)
> > >
> > > Which brings me to a question ... can/should we contribute code
> > > that requires a third-party, non-open source library?
> > >
> > > I think it would be fine to contribute the code I wrote at
> > > BDGP to biojava.org - I just wonder if doing this would go
> > > against the spirit of the project.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > Well, as I said before, I'm certainly interested
> > to see any code that's around...
> >
> > I'd prefer any BioJava core materials to stay open
> > source if at all possible (right now I'm thinking
> > about LGPL, or possibly MPL, for the packages
> > developed here).  On the other hand, this doesn't
> > necessarily rule out code with proprietary dependancies,
> > so long as it's not essential.
>

> I think the (only) requirement that people at bioperl would
> have on a biojava group running with teh biojava domain name
> and using our servers is that the license was open source.
> That does not rule out dependencies, but I would place dependent
> software in a separate repository. You do not want the entire
> package dependent on something (and it should not be anyway
> dependent on a a graphical view - the biological objects should
> be useable in a standalone manner).
>
> Remember what a mess the biowdigets consortium got into by not
> being open source. Do not go the way of restrictive licences.

> Ewan Birney. Work: +44 (0)1223 494992. Mobile: +44 (0)7970 151230
> <birney@sanger.ac.uk>
> http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/birney/

I agree that open source is probably the best way to go. I also think it
is essential that objects do not require graphical interfaces in anyway as
this reduces their ability to be incorporated into another aplication of
course it is always good to design objects that can readily have a GUI
wrapped around them.

Mark

Mark Schreiber			Ph: 64 3 4797875
Rm 218				email mark_s@sanger.otago.ac.nz