[Biojava-l] bio*.org server downtime on 14 December 2000 19:00 EST / public thanks to Genetics Institute

Chris Dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:44:58 -0500

Folks,

Our project server(s) will lose internet connectivity for approx. 1 hour at
19:00EST on 14 December 2000. The server(s) will not be going down or
rebooting, just losing internet connectivity for a bit.  We have a great
uptime record so far, over a year in days past past and currently 242 days
and counting since the last reboot .

The reason for the downtime is that the current upstream net connection is
being upgraded from a single T1 line to two T1 lines.  I will be in the
datacenter when the upgrade occurs to make sure our boxes handle the
changes without difficulty. If problems persist Thursday evening and people
want a status update I can be reached directly via my mobile number:
1-617-877-5498.

The bandwidth upgrade comes at a good time for us, a glance at
http://bioperl.org/stats/ will show how much our HTTP traffic alone has
grown over the past few years. Since I no longer work there :) I'd like to
take this opportunity again to thank Genetics Institute  in Cambridge, MA
USA (part of Wyeth-Ayerst & American Home Products) for providing hosting
facilities and network connectivity to our projects. Without the active
support from members of the Wyeth/GI Genomics Department and Kenny Grant
(Genetics network ninja) our projects would have had far more difficulty
reaching our current scale.

Regards,
Chris

Chris Dagdigian -- Blackstone Technology Group
(Work  ) dagdigian@computefarm.com  (Home) dag@sonsorol.org
(Web   ) http://ComputeFarm.com, http://open-bio.org, http://sonsorol.org
(More  ) Full contact info and schedule -- http://sonsorol.org/dag/contact.html