[Biojava-l] java2 required?

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 13:31:40 +0100

On Sat, Apr 15, 2000 at 04:45:00PM -0700, Matt Harrington wrote:

> it looks like java2 is required for biojava, but i thought i'd double
> check and ask the mailing list.  can any of it be used with 1.1.8?

We recommend Java 2, primarily because of extensive use of
the collections framework in core routines.  That said, in
most cases we're not using any Java 2 features beside the
collections.  I've built a collections package for java 1.1
systems, based on a slightly munged version of the code
used by the Classpath project (and therefore licenced under
a modified GPL -- source code available on request).  You
can download this from

  http://www.sanger.ac.uk/~td2/collect2/collect2.jar

You'll also need Sun's xml.jar, but I'm pretty sure this
still works under 1.1.

If collect2.jar is helpful, I'll write up a proper explanation
and post it on the biojava website.

Happy hacking,

Thomas

  PS. What platform are you using?  Java 2 availability is
      getting pretty good these days...
--
There are whose study is of smells
And to attentive schools rehearse