[Biojava-dev] Dropping minor and patch branchs; Commit new code to master

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Fri Jun 26 10:36:26 UTC 2015

Since the 4.0.0 release we've been trying to maintain separate branches for
patches (4.0.x), minor changes (4.x.0) and major api (5.0.0). As the main
proponent of this organization, I think I can say this was an incredibly
bad idea for our project size and development style.

So, as part of the 4.1.0 release I've merged these branches. Please base
all future development on the 'master' branch. If you want to make major
changes to that API that should go into BioJava 5.0, start a named feature
branch like 'biojava-5.0.0-dev'. Likewise, if we need a patch release to go
out asap, we can cherry-pick individual commits to a specific branch for
that release. This should significantly reduce the overhead of managing git
history, as well as eliminate all those crazy merges between branches after
each commit.

To update your local repositories, merge all your branches into
biojava/master. After merging, you should be able to safely delete the
minor and patch branches. If you have a github fork, you can delete those
remote branches with the command:

git push <myfork> :minor

(where <myfork> gives the name of your git remote; probably 'origin')

Note that the 4.1.0 release is on maven now, but this misses some commits
that were on the master branch but not minor. We'll do a quick 4.1.1
release to rectify this.

-Spencer