[Biojava-dev] Hints for merging old branches

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 30 14:57:54 UTC 2015

I just updated my eclipse workspace to the new module names and updated my
branches, so I thought I'd share some tips. Basically, after moving modules
you have to set up your eclipse workspace afresh. Thus, if you want to use
eclipse for merge resolution then it's best to do two merges, one on each
side of the rename. My protocol:

1) If you anticipate conflicts, merge first with the version just before
the renames. I recommend doing this to all your branches before proceeding
to the next step.

git merge 748da43

2) Merge your master with the biojava master branch. Lots of things moved
around, so you will get a warning unless you first increase the renameLimit
property.

git config merge.renameLimit 5000
git merge -X patience main/master

3) If you added any files, these will be in the old biojava3-* folders.
They need to be moved manually.

git mv biojava3-x/src/main/java/org/biojava/bio/x/Foo.java
biojava-x/src/main/java/org/biojava/nbio/x/

4) Reconstruct eclipse projects.
4a) Delete all the biojava packages, choosing to leave files on disk.
4b) Import... Existing maven projects, and navigate to the existing files
4c) Select all the biojava projects. Right click, and choose Team>Share
project. Complete the dialogue to set up egit again.

5) You will probably have conflicts from the import statements too. Change
all the biojava3.bio packages to biojava.nbio and/or run eclipse's organize
imports utilities.

6) Repeat 2, 3, and 5 for each branch to convert it to the new layout.

Cheers,
Spencer