[Biojava-dev] Cloning repositories in eclipse

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Thu Apr 11 00:54:25 UTC 2013

> I don't get why we have or need the release branch. Other projects hosted
> on Github don't do it like that, and in my day job, we use maven and Git
> with the release plugin without such a branch too.

So the release plugin then tags the code, but does not create a branch? (in
SVN tags and branches are essentially the same thing)  We could have one
branch per release, but it sounds like this is not necessary. Also, looking
back at past releases I can't remember that there was ever a commit on a
release branch.

Andreas

> It makes pull requests a bit complicated too, as the web UI defaults to
> the release branch. I had to force push something to my forked release
> branch because I accidentally added a file to the wrong branch at first.
>
> The single release branch also won't allow fix releases for older
> releases, or am I wrong?
>
> Hannes
>
> Am Donnerstag, 11. April 2013 schrieb Andreas Prlic :
>
> Same here, I got my eclipse setup to work with egit, but I thought that it
>> was not as easy as I would have hoped.   Let's try to keep the entry
>> barrier as low as possible.
>>
>> This leaves the question: should we rename the devel or release branch to
>> master? I'd say devel, since by default this would give you the latest
>> code
>> (similar to trunk checkouts in svn)
>>
>> Andreas
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Steve Darnell <darnells at dnastar.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Eclipse user here. +1 for making BioJava easier to setup in Eclipse.
>> >
>> > ~Steve

Dr. Andreas Prlic
Senior Scientist, RCSB PDB Protein Data Bank
University of California, San Diego
(+1) 858.246.0526