[Biojava-dev] Travis Continuous Integration testing & pull requests

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 31 15:29:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Andreas Prlic <andreas at sdsc.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a CruiseControl server that provides the automated -snapshot
> builds for our Maven repository.
>
> http://source.rcsb.org/cruisecontrol/buildresults/biojava-svn
>
> It builds after every commit and if all tests pass successfully
> uploads a latest -snapshot build to our Maven repository at
>
> http://www.biojava.org/download/maven/
>
> This way people who subscribe to our latest builds via Maven always
> get the bundle, without having to compile things themselves.

Ah - so this doubles as a nightly build and a nightly test. I didn't
appreciate that from the BioJava main wiki page summary:

"CruiseControl - BioJava automated builds are available from
here. (see current status) "

> If Travis-Cl can do the same, I am happy if you want to set that up
> for us - less work for me  to maintain :-)

Travis-CI (and presumably BuildHive) is focused on running
your test suite whenever you update the repository (not just
every night). That may include running a build (in the case of
Biopython we do compile some code), but Travis-CI do not
make the build files available to download like CruiseControl
seems to.

i.e. No, I don't think it offers the same functionality - but it
would probably be useful complementary functionality
(especially if/when you move from SVN to git).

Peter