[Biojava-dev] helping biojava

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Sun Dec 2 18:20:34 UTC 2012

Just to add, Tony,  it would also help to know more about the background of
the student (computer science, how much bio-knowledge, etc) ...

> Another opportunity might be to port the new 2011 DSSP C++ rewrite to
Java (http://www.cmbi.ru.nl/dssp.html).

Interesting that you bring this up. I have actually been working on the
side on something like this. It is not fully functional yet, so I never
mentioned this. If you take a look at the SecStruc.java class there is an
implementation that tries to re-create Dssp assignments. It is still not
100% exactly the same as the original. However having access to the
original code would probably help to compare the details an resolve the
remaining issues.  If somebody wants to take a shot at this, any help is
welcome...

Also: keep the feature requests coming. Another round of applications for
the google summer of code will be coming soon. The earlier we compile a
list of possible projects, the more likely we will be to attract good
students!

Andreas