[Biojava-dev] Feedback on GSoC project proposal

David Felty davfelty at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 04:28:28 UTC 2012

I made a few modifications to my proposal:
- Dropped the databases section
- Added some extreme programming ideas: frequent testing and mentor
checks, early development of a FASTA implementation
- Compiled a list of existing file parsers
- Added additional "new parsers"

> I'd prefer you to follow extreme programming
> approach rather than having a long planning stage.
The reason I have the long planning stage in there is because those
are the weeks when I'm in school, so I won't have as much time to
dedicate to the project. I did, however, put in the the development of
a FASTA parser, because I think I can handle that, even alongside
schoolwork.

While I was looking through the API, I found a couple of classes I was
unsure about: APFChainXMLParser and AfpChainWriter. I couldn't find
file formats online that mention APF chain XML, but they do seem to be
related to this: http://fatcat.burnham.org/fatcat/fatcathelp.html
Are these classes I should consider including in my project?

Thanks,
David