[Biojava-dev] Feedback on GSoC project proposal

P. Troshin to.petr at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 20:28:57 UTC 2012

Good proposal, thank you! I'd suggest a few changes though. I'd drop
"Reading from remote databases" section. I do not think that in time
available you will be able to make significant progress on this topic.
File parsers are such core functionality for BioJava that I think they
deserve all your attention. Also, I think you should make a plan that
is a bit more hands on. I'd prefer you to follow extreme programming
approach rather than having a long planning stage. So, start from
developing the simplest parsers e.g. FASTA readers and writers. Once
you done a complete cycle for one parser it will be much easier to
plan for other parsers. I did not see HMMER 3 parser in your proposal,
this is unfortunate as HMMER3 is such a widely used tool now that it
rival Blast itself! In the end of cause it is for you to decide what
you'd like to be working on, I can only advise you. All proposals will
be scored by 10-15 mentors on their own merits.

Regards,
Peter

On 1 April 2012 18:42, David Felty <davfelty at gmail.com> wrote