[Biojava-dev] Biojava and biomanycores

forumjspro at gmail.com forumjspro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 21:03:05 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I'm one of the people who is trying to develop the biomanycores
project (www.biomanycores.org) which aims to give access to efficient
parallel algorithms developed for GPUs to bioinformaticians.

To reach this goal we want to provide interfaces to those algorithms
through Bio* frameworks. People will have to change only some lines in
their Bio* code to use more efficient tools. In order to realize such
interfaces, it is necessary to launch the command line tool and to
retrieve results. I didn't see in the BioJava API a class enabling to
do such a thing although a mechanism seems to exist in BioPython or
BioPerl.

I would like to know if I miss something in the API and, if it is not
the case, what could be the best way to launch external programs to
stay in the spirit of BioJava. For the moment, I use the trilead
package to launch commands on distant computers and the Runtime class
in the standard API to launch local commands. But may be it is
completely irrelevant to add such functionalities to BioJava.

Please let me know what do you think about it.

Best regards

Jean-Stephane

Jean-Stephane Varre
http://www.lifl.fr/~varre