[Biojava-dev] Installation Problems

Salvo Camiolo s.camiolo at uniss.it
Mon Jun 23 10:19:27 UTC 2008

Hi,
I am experiencing some problem with the biojava installation. I use a
linux machine with  PcLinuxOs distro. I downloaded the file biojava.jar
from the following website

http://biojava.org/wiki/BioJava:Download

and I have put it in the folder /home/salvo. I then entered that folder
and typed the following command:

export
CLASSPATH=/home/salvo/biojava.jar:/home/salvo/bytecode.jar:/home/salvo/commons-cli.jar:/home/salvo/commons-collections-2.1.jar:/home/salvo/commons-dbcp-1.1.jar:/home/salvo/commons-pool-1.1.jar:.

I need biojava in order to use CAI software by Carbone et al. I
downloaded the java files for this software and had to compile it. The
CAI website advice to use javac which I don't have. I used jikes instead
and got the following error message:

Found 1 system error:

*** Semantic Error: You need to modify your classpath, sourcepath,
bootclasspath, and/or extdirs setup. Jikes could not find package
"java.lang" in:
               /home/salvo/biojava.jar
               /home/salvo/bytecode.jar
               /home/salvo/commons-cli.jar
               /home/salvo/commons-collections-2.1.jar
               /home/salvo/commons-dbcp-1.1.jar
               /home/salvo/commons-pool-1.1.jar
               .
               .

If I use the gcj compiler I get several errors, all related to the class
`org::biojava::bio::seq.

What's can be the problem in your opinion?
Thank you very much in helping me
kind regards
Salvo C.