[Biojava-dev] LGPL information forgotten at BlastLikeDataSetCollection.dtd ?

Andreas Prlic ap3 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 16:04:03 UTC 2007

Hi Steffen,

great to hear about your debian package!
would be good to advertise it also on the BioJava wiki pages.

> ~/biojava-1.5$ grep -ri "all rights reserved" . | wc -l
> 48

Many of the files that contain the text "all rights reserved" actually
are coming with the correct BioJava LGPL header on top of the file.
The misleading text is only somewhere in the
  javadoc - strings. Therefore I would consider those files to be
correctly under LGPL.

I can remove the misleading text from the javadoc tonight, if nobody
objects.

> grep -r LGPL src | wc -l
> 25

The default BioJava header does not contain the text "LGPL" but
"GNU Lesser General Public License". Therefore this is better:

grep -r "gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html" src | wc -l
1238

Andreas

On 9 Oct 2007, at 11:21, Steffen Moeller wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I prepared a Debian package for biojava but a distribution with the
> main
> distribution was rejected because of missing copyright information
> here
>
> 	dtd/BlastLikeDataSetCollection.dtd
> 	(which just says 'all rights reserved')
>
> and almost everywhere else
>
> ~/biojava-1.5$ grep -r LGPL src | wc -l
> 25
> ~/biojava-1.5$ find src -name "*.java" | wc -l
> 1342
>
> Please consider to have the copyright information added to your
> sources.
>
> I am a bit uncertain about how to treat non-source files. In
> principle, a
> <!-- copyright statement as a comment --> would be required for
> these files,
> too. However, it should be acceptable to distribute them as they are,
> applying the copyright file that is distributed with the source, as
> long as
> no indication is given (as for dtd/BlastLikeDataSetCollection.dtd)
> that a
> redistribution would not be appreciated.
>
> ~/biojava-1.5$ grep -ri "all rights reserved" src | wc -l
> 41
> ~/biojava-1.5$ grep -ri "all rights reserved" . | wc -l
> 48
>
> If there are files for which you cannot decide the license easily
> but that may
> not be required for an almost functional Debian package, then I
> would be
> prepared to remove those files from the package...hoping that it is
> not too
> many.
>
> Many thanks for your help ... and for BioJava in the first place
>
> Steffen

Andreas Prlic      Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
                               Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK
			 +44 (0) 1223 49 6891