[Biojava-dev] RE: [Biojava-l] BioJava discussion board

Schreiber, Mark mark.schreiber@agresearch.co.nz
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:28:34 +1200

> 	BioJava does not work well in a distributed environment
> in terms of RMI calls or in the "weservices" stack. Custom
> serializers/deserializers need to be made for each and every
> object that exists in the feature heirarchy. This is painful
> to say the least. T

Agreed, I think most of the serialization issues have been fixed but I
havn't looked at the feature serialization/deserialization yet.

> 	Where's the contructor!! There are a lot of factories
> that make, while making client side programming very easy to
> do, kill a middleware guy like myself.

There needs to be some valid bean implementations of simple cases of
Sequence/ SymbolList etc otherwise the binding of said objects to XML is
a lot more difficult than it should be.

> 	I'd like to see more services built with biojava.
> Things like performing SSAHA as an RPC/SOAP call would be
> nice. A deployable app that had an installer and set itself
> up as an "alignment service" would be great....I think we
> could contribute some code to this endeavor. Other things
> such as eponine service would be cool...

One of the questions that has come up is where should these services
reside, should they be part of biojava or part of omnigene, any
thoughts?

> 	Annotations are too loosely scoped for my taste. I'd
> like to confine a user to a specific set of ontologies and
> throw an exception if I didn't understand their terminology.

I think they have become more restrictive in recent versions of the CVS
distribution. Take a look at one of the new snapshots.

Mark