[Biojava-dev] arriving late to the party

Michael L. Heuer heuermh@acm.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 20:09:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

Some comments on things I've read in the biojava-dev archives

Thomas wrote:

> I'm tempted to route around this by forking into `evolution'
> (1.x, try to remain completely API compatible with current
> stuff) and revolution (2.0, lots of cool stuff, lots of API breakage).
> Maybe even start with a completely fresh repository for the 2.0 stuff.

and

Matthew wrote:

> One of my favorites would be to explicitly seperate the interface/user
> code from the service provider code ala foo, foo.spi - I like that
> pattern.  It also makes targeting the docs easier.

I like this idea of a new repository for a `revolution' fork of the
biojava codebase.  I would definately advocate refactoring package
structure as a first start.

The jakarta commons charter contains quite a few useful guidelines for
packaging an API, see

> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html

   michael