[Open-bio-l] European Codefest in 2014, perhaps near ECCB?

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 8 14:31:13 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Brad Chapman (who is organising the BOSC 2014 Codefest this summer in Boston),
Steffen Moller, myself and others were at the Debian Sprint in
Stonehaven recently:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/Meeting/Aberdeen2014

Steffen and I chatted about the idea of another European CodeFest this year
(since ISMB and BOSC are in North America again), perhaps held before/after the
ECCB meeting which will be in Strasbourg in September: http://www.eccb14.org

Last time ISMB/BOSC was in America, Pjotr, Raoul & Francesco organised the
EU-CodeFest 2012 in Italy: http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/EU_Codefest_2012

Would you be interested in doing something similar this year? It doesn't have
to be in Strasbourg in September, but that might help for travel budgets if many
of the potential participants hope to attend ECCB this year.

Also, if these needed some modest financial support from the OBF (e.g. to
secure room or hotel bookings), I would be happy to present a case to the
board.

Regards,

Peter
(BOSC 2014 co-chair, OBF secretary, etc)