[Open-bio-l] OpenID working again

Andy Jenkinson andy.jenkinson at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Apr 19 09:16:19 UTC 2013

On 19 Apr 2013, at 10:02, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Andy Jenkinson
> <andy.jenkinson at ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> It all works on biodas.org…
>>
>> Except I am suspicious of the number of accounts created today:
>> http://www.biodas.org/wiki/Special:RecentChanges
>>
>> I notice the captcha is, shall we say, not too troubling.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andy
>
> Thanks for that heads up - I checked (most of?) the other wiki
> pages and touch wood none of them have been hit like that yet.
> It may be that something is more open on BioDAS or your were
> just unlucky.

The wiki is uncontrollably full of spam from when this was a problem in the past, so it's probably on some list somewhere.

> Over on root-l we're looking at updating MediaWiki for all the
> OBF hosted wikis as part of getting OpenID working properly.

Yes I know, but I'm not sure if that will actually fix the spam problem? And are there any captcha settings we can tweak in the meantime? Every now and again I spend an awful lot of time deleting pages and blocking accounts, which is sadly all rather pointless if they can create new ones.