[Open-bio-l] BOSC and Codefest 2011 plans

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Fri Sep 17 12:56:30 UTC 2010

Hi all;
The initial deadline for ISMB special interest group applications is
coming up in a couple of weeks on October 8th. Kam will unfortunately
not have time to chair BOSC this year so we will need to step up as the
open source bioinformatics community.

ISMB is in Vienna next year, with the special interest groups happening
on July 15th-16th and the conference running from the 17th to 19th.
Details on the application process are here:

http://www.iscb.org/ismbeccb2011-submission-details/ismb2010-special-interest-groups

Who is interested in helping to organize BOSC for 2011? This is a
great opportunity to shape the direction of the conference. I've heard
a number of cool ideas mentioned, and am excited to see what new
approaches we could explore to make the conference more fun and useful
for everyone. Additionally, I'd like us to reach out to other SIG
organizers and see if we can combine efforts; DAM BOSC SIG has a nice
ring to it.

Thanks to Hilmar's suggestion, we've got a location for Codefest
2011. The folks at the Metalab, an awesome sounding hacking space,
have agreed to host us:

http://metalab.at/wiki/Folder:V5a-en
http://log.metalab.at/

We should be able to fit 40 people or so in the Bibliothek and
Hauptraum:

http://metalab.at/wiki/Datei:Grundriss_ca_2010-02.png

The Codefest would happen on the 13th and 14th, with a similar
relaxed structure and open attendance policy to this year. The
Metalab sells 2 euro beers so it's already guaranteed to be better.

Raise your hand via e-mail if you are interested in helping with
BOSC next year and we will start getting ourselves organized.

Brad