[Open-bio-l] R: Code fest 2010: thinking to '11

Steffen Möller steffen_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Jul 19 13:22:50 UTC 2010

Hello,

On 07/19/2010 02:44 PM, Richard Holland wrote:
> With regard to point 2 about other conferences - ECCB is in Ghent (Belgium) this year, in September. This is the conference that ISMB pairs with every time it is in Europe so could be a good excuse for an attached codefest. However my network of Belgian bioinformaticians is about as good as my network of Viennese ones. :)

I like the idea, but September is a bit too soonish for me as we
basically have just met.

> On 19 Jul 2010, at 13:38, Brad Chapman wrote
>> Hey all;
>> It's awesome to see so much interest in continuing the informal
>> Codefests; this is a great discussion. Raoul, thanks for kicking
>> it off.
>>
>> To try and summarize the thoughts so far, we have 2 different
>> ideas floating about regarding future Codefest sessions:
>>
>> 1. Another Codefest next year in conjunction with BOSC and ISMB in
>> Vienna. So far we have proposals for either Milano or Vienna itself.
>> The key aspect here is to figure out the logistics: if we wanted to
>> do Milano what is the transport situation to Vienna afterwards? If
>> we want to have it in Vienna can we find someone locally who is
>> willing to do the on the ground work to ensure we have space,
>> internet and power?

I expect to be at the ISMB and could prepare for that.
But there is no point in separating the CodeFest from BOSC, really.
And it certainly was not meant that way. It should be in Vienna.
>> Although the work of actually organizing is not especially taxing,
>> we do need to have someone committed locally as there are lots of
>> little things that need a person willing to handle them. It's
>> not too early to try and identify folks who might be interested and
>> get them integrated into the community. Although we wouldn't need to
>> book a room a year out, we would want to ensure that anyone
>> interested in hosting would get enough out of the coding session to
>> make it worth their time to help with the organization. Can anyone
>> who knows people in Vienna who might be interested get in contact
>> for at least an informal discussion? Then we can start to enumerate
>> the specifics so we can compare our options.

I'd ask a few individuals and then see what they say. Am I right presuming
that we cannot pay anything?
>> 2. Intermediate, potentially regional, Codefests between BOSC. These
>> sound like a good idea, and I would second Richard's point about
>> associating these with conferences to help encourage attendance.
Right. But not everyone needs to attend every meeting. In the contrary,
I think that it would be the major achievement of the cloud environments
that we can stay where we are and nonetheless somehow feel involved.
>> It
>> is a lot easier to justing budgeting out time and travel money if
>> there is a relevant more "official" event happening in conjunction
>> with the coding session. It's good to keep in mind that not
>> everyone, and their bosses, are entirely altruistic and to think
>> about how we can also satisfy professional needs while getting in
>> some coding time. Steffen, are there any conferences or near Luebeck
>> that it would make sense to coordinate with?

There is the annual supercomputing conference May-Juneish in neighbouring
Hamburg, diverse clinical events, nothing that really fits and I'd be
aware of.
We could create a summer or winter school ourselves, actually. We should
meet more towards the Winter, I think, wherever it is. I suggest December,
then we have the Xmas market as an event, and we should really think about
financing ourselves with a cloud winter school.
http://www.asc-luebeck.de/files/images/Luebeck%20Weihnachtsmarkt.preview.jpg

>> There were also some great ideas about BOSC itself. I helped
>> with the organizing this last year for the first time, and Kam is
>> really open to letting organizers try and shape the conference
>> goals. When Kam makes the announcements about organizing, which
>> should be near the end of the year, definitely get involved and
>> mention these ideas. It would be cool to see us try out some new
>> notions of what BOSC can provide for attendees.

+1

Many greetings

Steffen