[Open-bio-l] volunteering for openbio

Simon Brocklehurst simon.brocklehurst@CambridgeAntibody.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:02:33 +0100

Ewan Birney wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Ravi Iyer wrote:
>

> Well - almost certainly I think it is the web site that sounds the best
> place to start for you - What I would do is poke around the web sites and
> then propose a system which has to
>
>   (a) let the different sites have control of content sensibly
>
>   (b) has some commonish look and feel
>
>   (c) perhaps lets News items be centrally managed so people in BioPerl
> see BioJava annoucements and stuff.
>
> What do other people think?

The easiest way to go here would be to use an off-the-shelf content
management system that allows as much configuration as you want.

To match Ravi's skills, something like PostNuke (www.postnuke.com) might
be good.  It's licensed under GPL, and is PHP driven with a MySQL back
end.

It makes it easy to do things like RSS syndication of information across
sites (e.g. news from sister Open Bio sites).

Simon
--
Simon M. Brocklehurst, Ph.D.
Head of Bioinformatics & Advanced IS