[Open-bio-l] volunteering for openbio

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:26:09 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Ravi Iyer wrote:

> Hi all....
>
> I've been lurking on the list for a week or so as I've been interested in
> getting involved in the OpenBio projects.  I emailed the address on the
> website for volunteers with a brief description of my skills and interests
> and Chris Daigdigan indicated that I should seek feedback on this list as
> he'll be away for a bit.  I'm mainly a php/sql programmer and I'm very
> competent technically with databases and web technology.  I happen to run a
> bio related website (newbornscreening.com), and I've been trying to teach
> myself bioinformatics by browsing the public databases, taking some local
> college biology courses, and reading various books (ie the O'Reilly bioperl
> and bioinformatics books).
>
> Chris suggested 2 areas which I could help out...."(1) helping to fix up our
> websites with the ability to syndicate news cross-site and (2) helping the
> BioSQL project move forward."  I'd love to do either/both or anything else
> which someone thinks might be a tangible project within my abilities.  I
> started a coffeehouse after the dot-com crash in San Francisco, but I'm
> winding my involvement down now, so I have some freetime.  If anybody could
> point me in the right direction as far as becoming involved, I'd be very
> appreciative.  I was even considering going to the conference in Edmonton,
> though I admit to some worry that the biology parts may go over my
> head....but I guess that's how you learn....

Well - almost certainly I think it is the web site that sounds the best
place to start for you - What I would do is poke around the web sites and
then propose a system which has to

  (a) let the different sites have control of content sensibly

  (b) has some commonish look and feel

  (c) perhaps lets News items be centrally managed so people in BioPerl
see BioJava annoucements and stuff.

What do other people think?