[Open-bio-l] BioSQL schema: some questions

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:10:41 +0100

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 11:26:22AM -0700, Chris Mungall wrote:

> > Shouldn't there be a UK constraint on biodatabase.name?
> >
> > I've found couple of other little things that probably need to be
> > cleaned up, and as I'm going over every entity I may find more. I can
> > try to list them all, or if you prefer (would probably be easier for me,
> > too) I can fix them directly in the repository.
>
> fixing in the repository is best, so long as the bioperl-db test suite
> still passes.

Ahem.

bioperl-db isn't the only codebase to hang off these schemas.
There are certainly equivalents in BioJava and Biopython, and
(I think) some others as well (Ruby?).  Everyone will be using
rather different adaptor designs, and different `styles' of
SQL query to access to database.

Could I reiterate my request that any changes, however minor,
get notified to open-bio-l?  Actually, this repository might
be one case where it's really worth having one of those automatic
CVS-logging mailing lists.  Checkins should (hopefully) be
sufficiently rare than it won't be a full-time job reading
the commit logs, but it would avoid the ``hey, this is such
a minor fix that nobody else will notice'' syndrome.

Sorry to be a nag about this -- I'm just a little paranoid about
our hard-won interoperability :-).

    Thomas.