[MOBY-l] Moby Central access logs - FYI

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Jun 18 17:23:33 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm in the process of generating a progress report for Genome Canada on
the BioMoby project, and have just run a series of statistics on the
access logs.  The last time I reported this to the list there was some
discussion about how "meaningful" these statistics were, since we couldn't
discern who/why the "hits" were being made.

We've added user agent reporters into most of our software now, so I can
report the statistics somewhat more accurately:

mobycentral.icapture.ubc.ca
For the month of May, 2007
--------------------------

Total Hits:  804,945  (our highest number ever!)

This breaks down as follows:

647,091 - mobycentral.pl (the main API interface)
71,540 - OntologyServer  (the API to query the ontology)
64,237 - Services.cgi (the daemon serving my Moby Services)
13,240 - Moby Pinger (the check if services are "alive")
9,738 - the RSS feeds
822 - Gbrowse Moby (the simple CGI client)

Language-wise we have the following:

107,438 - MOBY::Client::Central (my Perl client)
446,334 - Axis
157,796 - SOAP::Lite (someone else's Perl client?)

Geographically, the accesses break down as follows:

14.96%	.de (Germany)
14.17%	.ca (Canada)
12.79%	[unresolved numerical addresses]
11.52%	.uk (United Kingdom)
9.88%	.edu (USA Higher Education)
3.02%	.org (Non Profit Making Organisations)
2.76%	.net (Networks)
2.41%	.fr (France)
2.35%	.nl (Netherlands)
1.78%	.com (Commercial)