[MOBY-l] Multiple Centrals on Same server

Mark Wilkinson markw at illuminae.com
Mon Feb 12 03:43:43 UTC 2007

In addition to that comment - just last week Eddie and I discovered a bug
in the code that was supposed to allow MOBY::Client::Central to refer to
another *single* registry by another name.  That may have been the only
bug, and it may work perfectly from now on, but... say a prayer before you
try it :-)

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:40:17 -0800, Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com>
wrote:

> Hi Karthik!
>
> Actually, I didn't express myself clearly.  Running multiple MOBY
> Centrals
> on the same machine is fine - I know from personal experience that I can
> run up to three instances on the same server.  It is the CLIENT libraries
> that I am not sure about.  I have never tried "in the real world" to use
> the Perl client libraries to talk to more than one instance of MOBY at
> the
> same time.  I wrote them such that they SHOULD be able to do this, but I
> have never thoroughly tested this functionality, so I am not certain that
> it will work for you.
>
> I can assure you, however, that running multiple instances of teh
> registry
> on the same machine in different instances of Apache works just fine :-)

> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:35:51 -0800, Rajasekar Karthik
> <karthik085 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>>
>> You are right. I will just setup multiple central on different machine.
>> After I am more comfortable with MOBY, I will try it.
>>
>> On 2/11/07, Mark Wilkinson <markw at illuminae.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> As far as I know, nobody has ever tried this, so you are breaking new
>>> ground (and as someone new to MOBY, that might not be the easiest thing
>>> do :-) )
>>>
>>> But the answer to your question is that you can only run one instance
>>> of
>>> MOBY Central per instance of the Apache server.  You can run multiple
>>> instances of Apache, each with their own config file, where each config
>>> file points to a different mobycentral.config file.  On the client side
>>> (in Perl, I don't know about Java) you can create an instance of
>>> MOBY::Client::Central that connects to two different MOBY Centrals by
>>> name
>>> (you create the name when you assign the URL during creation of the
>>> object), and you have to specify the name of the MOBY Central you are
>>> addressing when you make your MOBY Central call using the "Registry =>
>>> "somename"" parameter.
>>>
>>> Some MOBY::Client::Central calls don't allow you to address more than
>>> one
>>> registry.  In particular, ones that involve registration of new