[MOBY-l] Where does articleName belong? How can I set it in a Simple, using jMoby?

Frank Gibbons fgibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 18 22:13:02 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm having trouble understanding where articleName belongs. I thought I
understood it before, but now that I'm trying to use jMoby to access
services that I'm providing from Perl, I'm confused again..... (But I note
from the MOBY digest that just landed in my mailbox that that's OK, since
articleName has several uses/meanings, and may perhaps soon acquire some
more, so perhaps I'm not the only one ;)

My (Perl) services expect input that looks like this:

<Simple articleName='interactorID'>
<Object ..../>
</Simple>

In jMoby, from reading TestRequest.java, I can see that it's easy to build
an object to contain a message like, using one of the constructors (it
takes two String arguments: namespace and id). But how do I set the
articleName for the enclosing <Simple> tag? Calling setName() on the
service input MobyDataObject that wraps it, results in that articleName
being handed down to the child element (Object), when it should remain with
the Simple.

Maybe I've got it all wrong. This has worked for me with the Perl API for
over a year, but when trying to interact with those services using jMoby,
it barfs because the response (which looks not unlike the input above)
contains Simples with children, which "is NOT expected" [sic]. But I though
Simples could contain fundamental datatypes like String & friends. Perhaps
this relates to the discussion over the last weeks about what a Collection
is for.

Hopefully, I've overlooked something in the javadocs - if so, I'd
appreciate a pointer to the right class.

Thanks in advance.

-Frank

PhD, Computational Biologist,
Harvard Medical School BCMP/SGM-322, 250 Longwood Ave, Boston MA 02115, USA.
Tel: 617-432-3555       Fax:
617-432-3557       http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons