[MOBY-l] Re: [MOBY-dev] lease versus agent for registry updating

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Aug 17 00:10:24 UTC 2005

Hi all,
   Everybody is talking about lease and agents so if I do not join I would
feel like a pariah...
   What was the original problem that started this discussion? I remember
two:
   a) How to make a deregistration secure (so nobody can easily remove my
service from a registry), and
   b) How I can remove my service registration at any time when I *want*
to do it.
   Am I right - is this (at least) the problems we are trying to solve? (I
understand that during this discussion a new problem was born - how to
test that a service is reliable; but I consider it as a separate issue.)

   Obviously problem b) requires an action on my side.
   In case of agent it is a removal of an RDF document - and hopefully
supported by a new method in the registry API calling an agent to come to
me *now*. This new API call was mentioned and I hope it will happen.
Without it the agent solution is weak (IMHO) - having the similar weakness
as Google has with non existing links/documents (oh, wow, now I really
feel like a pariah by saying that Google has a weakness!)
   In case of lease - is there a concept of making a lease to expire
before its planned end? If so, how is it done that nobody else can do it
except me (problem a))?

   Can you, Phill perhaps, explain me if the lease can solve my two
problems above? So far I understand that an agent can - assuming tghat
there will be that new API call (Mark, Eddie, will this be - in case the
agent idea is accepted?)

   Cheers,
   Martin

--
Martin Senger
   email: martin.senger at gmail.com
   skype: martinsenger
International Rice Research Institute
Biometrics and Bioinformatics Unit
DAPO BOX 7777, Metro Manila
Philippines, phone: +63-2-580-5600 (ext.2324)