[MOBY-l] Moby in workflows

Rebecca Ernst rebecca.ernst at gsf.de
Thu Oct 7 11:01:41 UTC 2004

Hi Tom!

Within the PlaNet project which aims to integrate European plant
databases we are using BioMoby as the integration technology.
We recently played with Taverna (Martin Senger told me that Taverna is
'mobyfied' now) and found it an amazingly good tool for building workflows!
Since then we are certainly promoting it heavily! ;-)
For making use of Taverna within the PlaNet project it would be perfect
if there would be a possiblility of a standalone/non-interactive
application of Taverna.
e.g. we are building a portal through which people can access all our
PlaNet databases (featured by BioMoby). It would be great if we could
offer them to run several workflows which we built already without
having to install Taverna on their machines. This would involve saving
the workflows from Taverna, and then executing those saved workflows
through e.g. a command-line call to Taverna.
I don't know if you ever thought of this possibility!?

Another thing which I realized : at the moment you will have to guess
from the name of the service to his function. If I want to build a
workflow integrating other peoples services as well, I need to know what
exactly a service does. In BioMoby this is described on one hand in the
human readable description and on the other hand by the input/output
objects in Moby Central. Is this what you mean with annotation
information? Or are you talking about the service notes?

Cheers,
Rebecca.