[MOBY-l] Re: [MOBY-dev] Semantic Moby and Web Services <-> Semantic Web integration efforts?

Phillip Lord p.lord at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 00:28:38 UTC 2004

  Catherine> Hi,

  Catherine> I would have a question: how is the Moby-S branch of
  Catherine> Biomoby connected to other efforts that seek to integrate
  Catherine> Web services and Semantic Web?  I mean groups, systems or
  Catherine> forums such as:
  Catherine> 	http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/swsig/ http://www.wsmo.org
  Catherine> 	(Web service modelling Ontology)
  Catherine> 	http://www.wsmo.org/wsml (Web Service Modeling
  Catherine> 	Language) http://www.daml.org/services/owl-s
  Catherine> 	(OWL-based Web service ontology)
  Catherine> ...?

  Catherine> BTW, I have just heard of this book: Developing Semantic
  Catherine> Web Services (A. K. Peters) :
  Catherine> http://www.akpeters.com/product.asp?ProdCode=2124

It isn't really. There is some similarity between the OWL-S profile,
and moby-s data model.

OWL-S/WSMO are trying to do a different thing to moby-s. The main aim
for these technologies is to use highly expressive logics to enable
automated composition and choreography of web services. This is a nice
idea, but, my own suspicion is that most biologists, or bioinformatics
service providers are not going to go to the effort to describe their
services logically.

Moby-s on the other hand takes a more constrained view of
semantics. It's trying to produce semantic descriptions which are good
enough to reduce the problem for the biologist to selecting from one
or a short list, rather than then 500.

There is a paper in this years ISWC (currently going on now!), which
you can get from here...

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~phillord/download/publications/biomoby-comparison-iswc2004.pdf

Cheers

Phil