[MOBY] [MOBY-l] Interpreting results from Service->execute()

Martin Senger senger at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Mar 17 21:44:23 UTC 2004

> I wonder if this would be effective.  My approach to the Time To Live
> approach would be to write a cron job that notifies MOBY-Central that my
> services are still OK.  So my services might break and Time To Live
> wouldn't be useful.

   You can always cheat - and break things, of course. But why to write a
cron job that notifies if there is nothing to notify? :-) Better to create
a cron job that can re-register my service after checking that my service
is okay. The beauty of this is that the cron job is create by the same
person that wrote the service so he/she knows the best how to check the
service.

> I like the idea of having a standard test script that gets run
> periodically by someone's computer. It would have a carefully chosen input
> to produce a predictable output which can be verified to be correct by the
> test script.

   There is no such think as a standard test...

   Just my 2c, Martin

--
Martin Senger

EMBL Outstation - Hinxton                Senger at EBI.ac.uk
European Bioinformatics Institute        Phone: (+44) 1223 494636
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus             (Switchboard:     494444)
Hinxton                                  Fax  : (+44) 1223 494468
Cambridge CB10 1SD
United Kingdom                           http://industry.ebi.ac.uk/~senger